A Level 3 Certificate in Food Science and Nutrition will enable you to demonstrate an understanding of the science of food safety, nutrition and nutritional needs in a wide range of contexts, and through on–going practical sessions, to gain practical skills to produce quality food items to meet the needs of individuals. It has been designed to offer exciting, interesting experiences through applied learning, i.e. through the acquisition of knowledge and understanding in purposeful, work-related contexts, linked to the food production industry.
What skills will I develop?
You will build on and extend your practical food preparation skills plus each unit within the qualification has an applied purpose which acts as a focus for the learning in the unit. The applied purpose demands authentic work related learning in each of the available units. It also requires you to consider how the use and application of your learning impacts on yourself, other individuals, employers, society and the environment. The applied purpose will also enable you to learn in such a way that you develop:
- skills required for independent learning and development skills to ensure your own dietary health and well being
- a range of generic and transferable skills the ability to solve problems the skills of project based research, development and presentation
- the ability to apply mathematical and ICT skills
- the fundamental ability to work alongside other professionals, in a professional environment
- the ability to apply learning in vocational contexts
An understanding of food science and nutrition is relevant to many industries and job roles. Care providers and nutritionists in hospitals use this knowledge, as do sports coaches and fitness instructors. Hotels and restaurants, food manufacturers and government agencies also use this understanding to develop menus, food products and policies that support healthy eating initiatives. Many employment opportunities within the field of food science and nutrition are available to graduates.
Most courses are two years long unless otherwise stated.
QiW Code: C00/0726/2
Qualification: WJEC Level 3 Diploma
All courses are accurate at the time of upload. Courses can only run if there are sufficient numbers.