Chweched Powys Sixth which is part of Powys County Council undertakes a wide variety of functions, and in doing so will gather personal data in order to complete these functions.

We are committed to protecting the rights of individuals in line with the current Data Protection Legislation. Therefore this notice is designed to give you information about the data we hold about children, young people and their families, how we use it, your rights in relation to it and the safeguards that are in place to protect it.

Why we collect your data

We collect and use the personal information of children, young people to enable prospective pupils to apply to study at a Powys Sixth Form.

Information collected by us

Powys County Council, as a data controller, collects personal data in order to provide application services for Sixth Form. We will only collect the personal data from you that we need in order to provide these services and process personal information in a fair and lawful way.

In the course of our collection, we collect the following information:

  • Personal information - including name, address, contact details, date of birth, gender and contact details
  • Educational information - including school name, achievements and qualifications, progress data, attendance data and exclusion data

The information we collect may pertain to current or previous involvement from individuals and organisations.

We obtain this information in the following ways:

  • Information provided by the child/young person
  • Information provided by schools, early years education providers, Post-16 institutions and other education or training providers
  • Information provided by other Powys County Council colleagues

Accurate information

It is important that we hold accurate and up to date information in order to process applications for children, young people and families in Powys If any details have changed, or change in the future, please ensure that you tell us as soon as possible, so that we can update the records.

What is the lawful basis for processing the personal data

Legal obligation - It is necessary for us to gather and share some personal information in order to fulfil our legal obligations under the following legislation:

  • Learning and Skills (Wales) Measure 2009
  • Curriculum and Assessment (Wales) Act 2021
  • Learning and Skills Act 2000
  • Education Act 2002

Public Interest - It is necessary for us to gather and share some personal information in order to exercise the Council's authority to carry out tasks in the public interest.  This could include ensuring equal opportunity and treatment and ensuring and reporting on the provision of education.

When we will share your data

The Council will use your data for the purpose it was provided for.

There may be occasions when personal information is shared, internally within the Council and also with external organisations where we are required to do so by law.  Or in order to undertake a multi-agency assessment.  Any information shared will only be on a need to know basis, with appropriate individuals. Only the minimum information for the purpose will be shared.

Council organisations we may share information with include:

  • Admissions
  • Passenger Transport
  • School Services

External organisations we may share information with include:

  • Schools, early years education providers, Post-16 institutions and other education or training providers

We will not:

  • Use personal information for marketing or sales purposes.
  • Send or store data outside of the European Union (unless in the situation of a family moving outside of that geographical area)
  • Make decisions about you based on automated processing

Data processors

Data processors are third parties who provide elements of our service for us, such as IT systems and suppliers who handle or collect personal data on behalf of the Council.

We have contracts and data processing agreements in place with our data processors. This means that they cannot do anything with your personal information unless we have instructed them to do so. They will not share your personal information with any organisation apart from the Council unless this is by prior agreement. Data processors are required to hold any personal information securely and to retain it for the period we instruct.

The supplier of our information storage software systems may also have access to your data, this will only ever be used in the context of administering and supporting the system.

How we keep your data safe

We will take appropriate steps to make sure personal information we hold, in paper format or electronically, is kept securely and only used by people who are authorised to do so.

The Council's security measures include encrypting personal data and equipment, system access controls and training in data protection for all staff. The Council has internal policies in place to ensure data that it processes is not lost, accidently destroyed, misused, or disclosed. Furthermore, data is not accessed by employees except in the performance of their duties.

Where another company or organisation processes personal information on behalf of the Council, they will only process information in line with the Council's instructions.  They are obliged to provide security assurances to the Council.

How long will we keep data

We will only keep information for the minimum period necessary. The Council retention schedules outline the periods of time for which information for different purposes must be kept.

Your rights

Subject Access Request - you are able to make a request to see and be provided with a copy of information about you or your child that is being used by Powys County Council. This includes why information is being held and what sorts of decisions are being made using that information.

To make this request please fill in a Subject Access Request Form.

  • Right to be informed - you have the right to be supplied with information explaining why and how we use your information. These notices are called Privacy Notices.
  • Right of rectification - you are entitled to have personal information put right or completed if you feel it inaccurate or not complete.
  • Right to be forgotten - you have the right to request that personal information about you is erased where we have no compelling reason to continue using it.
  • Right to block or restrict - you are able to ask that we stop using your personal information for certain reasons and in certain ways.
  • Right to portability - dependent upon the reasons and the way in which we use your information you may be entitled to obtain and reuse your information, to move your information from one IT system to another.  This applies only when it is information you gave us, you consented to us using it, or we are using it because of a contract, and the use of information is undertaken by a computer.
  • Right to object - you are able to object to us using your information in some cases, such as direct marketing.
  • Rights related to automated decision making including profiling - where you are able to request human intervention in the decision making process.

How to make an enquiry or lodge a complaint

The Council has a legal basis for gathering and processing of information necessary for the delivery of services.  You have the right to request that the Council stop or restrict using your personal data in relation to any Council service. However, this may cause delays or prevent us delivering a service to you.  Where possible, we will seek to comply with such requests but this may not be possible where the Council is required to do so by law, to safeguard public safety, where there is a risk of harm and/or in emergency situations.

Contact details for enquiries:

The Council's Data Protection Officer can be contacted at and by phone on 01597 826400

For independent advice about data protection, privacy and data sharing issues, you can contact the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) at:

Information Commissioner's Office,
Wycliffe House,
Water Lane,

Tel: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 if you prefer to use a national rate number.

Alternatively, visit or email by using the following link